Keeping the children well dressed in softshell
Autumn is here and the kids need outerwear that can handle that little extra wind. We, as parents, want to feel safe in the fact that our children do not freeze and that they stay warm and dry during the fall. It is also important that the outer garments breathe so that the children do not become sweaty and then begin to get cold.
We have developed a unique product and we think it’s a fantastic garment.
Let's present our softshell jacket with features such as;
• Insulating and protects against wind, water and cold weather
• Water resistant up to 5000mm / 24h
• Breathable up to 3000 gr / m2 / 24h
• Reflective details at front and back
We have used polyester fiber made from recycled plastic bottles. Read more about Repreve. The garment also has the water-repellent impregnation BIONIC-FINISH® ECO, which is completely free of fluorocarbons, formaldehyde and paraffin and its not harmful to either the environment or to those who produce the garments.
To find out more about the softshell fabric, we asked Petra Hägg, production manager at ebbe to inform us about the advantages of this garment.
What is soft shell fabric really?
- Materials of this category are constructed from a dense woven microfiber, an outer layer that has a treatment that makes the garment both windproof and water repellent. The layer between the outer and inner fabric is an insulating layer that makes the material warm and absorbs and transports away any moisture that is created when you are active, which children are usually. The fleece inner fabric is both warm and soft against the body.
- A jacket made in softshell is therefore not 100% waterproof as a traditional membrane but works as a water repellent and provides very good protection against wind, cold, snow and rain for a certain time. It is the breathability of the garment that is prioritized to ensure the comfort of those wearing it, above the waterproofness. With this said, the jacket will keep you dry on most occasions but if the forecast says heavy rain, maybe it’s an idea to choose rain wear.
- Softshell is a softer material that works great in highly activity because the moisture that is then formed is easily transported through small pores in the fabric and evaporates. Wearing rainwear when it is a little milder in light rain can easily cause the children to sweat inside the jacket. And when they are sweaty they are easily cooled and begin to freeze and therefore a softshell jacket is a good alternative.
Can you explain a little more about the term breathability?
- Materials generally can be described by varying degrees of breathability, which means the ability of the material to transport moisture from the body and out through the fabric. You can simply describe the measurement for the "transfer rate of moisture", ie measuring how fast or slow, moisture transports through the fabric. This is measured in g / m² / day or in other words - the amount of moisture transported per square meter fabric for 24 hours.
ebbes softshell jacket holds water up to 5000 mm, what does that mean?
- It indicates the waterproofness of the garment. The material has been tested with a water pressure tool, to see when it starts to pass through water. The test involves exposing the material to a water pressure specified in millimeters. For example, our garment with a water column of 5000 mm means that the right side of the material is able to withstand the pressure of a quantity measuring 5000 mm or 5 meters, at the height, before the back of the fabric becomes wet. In other words, this means that you can not stand in pouring rain for too long.
In the past it was recommended to dress the children in many layers, what do you think of that?
- The softshell jacket can actually replace the layer-on-layer principle since everything is in the same garment. The outer layer that holds against wind and rain, the membrane on the inside that carries out moisture and the fleece that heats and is soft against the body. But when it gets colder the actual softshell jacket can be worn as one layer itself, tentatively with a quick-dry layer underneath and a warmer jacket or shell jacket as an outer layer.
How flexible can you be in the softshell jacket, considering children's activities?
- Our softshell jacket contains 6% elastane, which increases comfort and range of use.
- We have also chosen to make the jacket slightly longer than a regular jacket, as it provides better protection over the seat area and we wanted a model that was not so common in the market today.
Thanks, Petra for an elaborate explanation!
See the softshell jacket here.